SAVANNAH, Ga., June 6, 2012 – The Georgia Historical Society will dedicate a historical marker to the Glenwood Elementary and High School in Winder, Ga., on Sat., June 16 at 11 a.m. One of Georgia’s first public consolidated schools for African Americans, Glenwood served as a source of community pride and independence during the era of segregated schooling, becoming the only school for black students in Barrow County. It was established in 1951 as part of Georgia’s effort to improve segregated school buildings for all students and preserve segregation by demonstrating the possibility of maintaining racially separate public schools. Glenwood closed in 1970 and was reopened as the integrated Winder-Barrow Middle School. The marker is a collaboration of the Georgia Historical Society, the Glenwood Barrow County High School Alumni Association, Inc., The Barrow County Board of Education and the Barrow County Historical Society.
The Georgia Historical Society has administered Georgia’s statewide marker program since 1998, erecting over 180 historical markers across Georgia on a wide variety of subjects.Read the Full Release